September 5, 2019
TIME: 5:30 - 7:30 pm
Better Learning and Data Analytics:
An Introduction to xAPI
As adoption of xAPI takes hold, it allows for more robust and interesting tracking of the learning process. As actual performance and results data are integrated with learning metrics, we will have the data we need to tailor the learning process to individual needs at the same time that we can draw more useful conclusions about the learning as a whole across a wider population. This leaves instructional designers with a set of critical questions: How does this impact my work? What tools do I need? What data should I track? What infrastructure does my organization need to be able to take advantage of this?
After an introduction to xAPI and how it's different from the SCORM-based LMS environment we're familiar with, we'll discuss three key areas that impact instructional designers and their teams:
At the end of the session attendees will be able to:
- Identifying learning data needs, data sources and meaningful visualizations that answer organizational and L&D questions
- Determining what data to send, where it exists, and how to organize it
- Making choices about infrastructure: how and when to work with your LMS, your LRS or both
- Describe the impact that xAPI can have on their organization's learning and performance strategies.
- Identify data needs and likely sources within the organization to meet.
- Choose one or more first projects that leverage xAPI's capabilities beyond what's available in SCORM today.
5:30 - 5:50 pm Dinner & Networking
5:50 - 6:05 pm Welcome & Introductions
6:05 - 7:15 pm Presentation & Practice
7:15 - 7:30 pm Learning Wrap-Up & Meeting Close
Washtenaw Community College
Morris Lawrence Building
4800 E. Huron River Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Register by Friday, August 30, and save $5
- Chapter members = $20
- Student members = $15
- Non-member guests = $40
(Join now and save up to $25!)
Registrations are not considered definite or confirmed until payment has been submitted.
Cancellations & Refunds:
Cancellations will be accepted until 5 pm on Friday, August 30, 2019.
- Cancellations received prior to this time/date should be requested in writing and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Refunds will be issued either (1) by check (less a $5 processing fee) and will be mailed to the address on file or (2) transferred to the next scheduled A2ATD meeting date.
- Refunds after Friday, August 30 at 5 pm cannot be issued, but we will gladly accept a substitution should you wish to send someone in your place.
About the Presenter:
Megan Torrance is CEO and founder of TorranceLearning, which helps organizations connect learning strategy to design, development, data and ultimately performance.
Megan has over 25 years of experience in learning design, deployment and consulting. Megan and the TorranceLearning team are passionate about sharing what works in learning so they devote considerable time to teaching and sharing about Agile project management for learning experience design and, of course, the xAPI. TorranceLearning hosts the xAPI Learning Cohort, a free, virtual 12-week learning-by-doing opportunity where teams form on the fly and create proof-of-concept xAPI projects, and the Download Conference offered free to the SE Michigan learning & development community each May.
Megan is the author of The Quick Guide to LLAMA, and two ATD TD at Work publications: Agile and LLAMA® for ISD Project Management and Making Sense of xAPI. She is a frequent speaker at conferences nationwide. TorranceLearning projects have won severalBrandon Hall Group awards, the 2014 xAPI Hyperdrive contest at DevLearn, and back-to-back eLearning Guild DemoFest Best-In-Show awards in 2016/2017 with xAPI projects. TorranceLearning is a 2018 Michigan 50 Companies to Watch.
A graduate of Cornell University with a degree in Communication and an MBA, Megan lives and works near Ann Arbor, Michigan.